Beginner's Guide to Sewing: Threading the Needle
Beginner's Guide to Sewing: Threading the Needle
Starting Off Slow
As someone who has had a plethora of hobbies in my 21 years of living, sewing is the one that I feel has stuck with me the most. There is something special about being able to craft something from nothing! It started off with a deep dive one night on TikTok, seeing these creative garments made by people with influence from all over the World. After months of researching sewing machines, patterns, and techniques, I decided to thrift a sewing machine to finally see if the passion would stick. However, the machine sadly did not work as I intended. I kept breaking needles, and the thread would often get stuck. After all of this research, I knew the machine was not going to make it worthwhile. I finally decided to purchase a new machine, but I knew that I would get some use out of it.
My first project was a simple tote bag. After seeing hundreds of videos on TikTok, I knew this was an ample beginner project. The machine came with simple instructions, so it was just being confident in my ability. It took me about two hours, but time went by so fast because I was just having fun! I decided to make a few more tote bags, just to perfect that project.
No Pattern, No Problems
Like I said before, tote bags are the perfect beginner project. They do not require any patterns, just measuring some fabric. When it came time to start a new project, I knew I wanted something a bit more complex. I decided to purchase a t-shirt pattern on Pinterest. From what I understood, a pattern just requires precise cutting of fabric and understanding the labels on the pattern, and it can be intimidating!
My first t-shirt was a success; I was finally able to make clothes for myself. I did not want to fully rely on patterns, though. I searched on YouTube exactly how to clone your clothes. I learned how to trace a garment and imitate the patterns and seamlines, allowing me to make clothes without a pattern! It can be very simple; all it takes is research.
Starting the Sewing Journey
Overall, sewing has been a learning experience. It has had its ups and downs, but feeling rewarded by the things you create makes it all worth it. The needles, the thread, the patterns, the settings, the machine, and the finished garments are components, but you are the main driving force of your sewing journey.

Comments
Post a Comment